Thursday, February 21, 2019

Carolina Chocolate Drops

Last class on February 12th, we watched a documentary on an Americana music group called The Carolina Chocolate Drops. A documentary put together by director, John Whitehead took us on a journey with the music group. I was able to see the obstacles that the group encountered- problems as a group, personal conflicts, life getting in the way of the groups career, as well as how they all handled these situations together and individually. Although the genre of music is not what I normally listen to, I was intrigued by the culture behind the music, the type of instruments they all played, and their life on the road. Personally, I think that Whitehead could have shortened the film as little because towards the end it became repetitive and seemed like he added extra footage in to make it longer in time. Watching this documentary exposed me to a new genre of music and made me realize that other music groups like The Carolina Chocolate Drops are eligible to win big awards like a Grammy. I think it is important to give recognition to different artist even if their work is not exactly "popular."

No comments:

Post a Comment